Saturday, February 5, 2011

... was amazed!! Geocaching??!! WOW!

I have never in my wildest dreams thought something like geocaching existed!  What a revelation - all around me are hidden caches to hunt down (yes I checked my postcode and there are LOTS out there! )  Unbelievable and a great idea for a fun day out with family and friends.  Although I do not have any GPS devices myself, I know that my 15 year old son does have this facility on his mobile phone which got me to thinking:  if he does, maybe quite a few other young adults do too, in which case, what a great way to promote the library and local facilities to them?
Using the local high schools for promotion of the geocaching programme, we could place caches in various spots around Mandurah which are in some way relevant to our youth, eg our Billy Dower youth centre, our skate park, aquatic centre, recreation centres and even sites which at some time during the year host youth programmes.  Inside each of the caches we could place not only a log book but also a supply of small business cards (to be taken away) containing info relevant to that particular site, eg details of the low-cost after-school gym programme for teens only, available at the recreation centres.  Perhaps after collecting all the cards, there could be a prize for the first to present them at the library?
I think this would be an exciting, healthy, social activity for our teens which would spark more knowledge and interest in their surroundings and all that is available for them in Mandurah - including the library of course!!

1 comment:

  1. It certainly was an interesting "find", had no idea such a thing existed and like you, think it would catch on with the younger patrons and could be a great activity for them incorporating the library.

    ReplyDelete