Monday, January 31, 2011

... discovered Podcasts....YAY!

I really enjoyed learning more about podcasts... I've come across them before when I signed up for one for my son - it was an author he enjoyed, Tommy Donbavand.  However, after the first podcast, the future podcasts (whilst still advertised on the website) were no longer being sent out, so it was a bit disappointing. 
However, I learned lots on the '60 second science' podcasts - what a clever idea, just enough time to get the interesting facts out but they end before the yawns and zzzzzzzzzz start!  (Science was never my thang!)
I thought the podcasts of seminars were also excellent - you can now hear all the info from a speaker at a seminar without being in the same room/city/state/country, great idea with lots of uses.
If our library was to use podcasting and more importantly, REGULARLY UPDATE the podcasts, I think the members of the public would become used to them, expect them, rely on them and so we could utilise them for promoting the library's services or upcoming events, eg we could provide a podcast with background information and excerpts from the books of upcoming visiting authors. 
Overall, pretty impressed with the usefulness of podcasting, slightly more than Twitter (!)

3 comments:

  1. Yes I completely agree, twitter is most likely the least useful of all the web applications we have covered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also liked the sixty second science podcasts.

    Also just noticed your wallpaper - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like podcasts and can see they could be useful in a library. My dauhgter has discovered Hamish and Andy's podcasts and thinks they are fantastic

    ReplyDelete