Wednesday, January 19, 2011

... had fun with online video, You Tube

Watched some interesting and useful youtube videos which makes a change from the ones I normally receive in emails... interesting? yes! useful? err, NO! I liked the Library of the future in plain english video, it sounds exactly like the model for the future of the public library where I work.
Library of the future in plain English

I checked out the Curtin Uni youtube site and although I thought their vids were good, it was interesting to look at the 'viewed' figures for each one. I would have thought Uni students were of the generation who would utilise youtube so maybe it isn't a great method of the Uni getting information 'out there' after all? Considering the age range of the patrons of our library, I wouldn't have thought it would have a huge benefit then? If you look at the type of content on the most watched youtube vids, I guess youtube is mostly used for entertainment so a library vid would be well at the bottom of the viewing list of many?!! Who knows?!

I chose the following youtube vid as it is entertaining (!) rather than useful. It is part of a successful ad campaign in the UK for 'Compare the market' car insurance involving meerkats.  After several popular ads, they brought out an ad containing the previous ads' bloopers!  .... if you're unsure what a meerkat has to do with car insurance, check this out:

5 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed your choice of YouTube video - very entertaining. I really like meerkats (always my favourite on any visit to the zoo) which is why I chose to watch it. Your comments on stats were interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just recently our Council organized a Training video on looking out
    for one another (at work of course)
    featuring guess what....the cute meerkats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good choice of video - love the meerkats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever to find this roollyy funny video, yes i agree a library video may be at the bottom of people's viewing, however put in a Russian meerkat and we may have something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very funny yes, I'm sure we could add Alexander the Russian meerkat for a bit more OOMPH! LOL!

    ReplyDelete