Monday, January 17, 2011

... reluctantly found Twitter

Can think of a coupla names for Twitter, one is Twitty but won't mention the other.  I can't quite get the gist of it.... why does it exist?  I get it, but I don't GET IT if you know what I mean.... it seems to be just another method of this lcd screen sucking me in for hours at a time and achieving... well, what?  Sorry, tad cynical this morning, not a technologically minded mood this morning obv!

My twitter name is KyliePep so if anyone would like to follow me, feel free.  I cannot guarantee a fun-filled uproariously funny journey, but hey, c'est la vie!  I do have an odd follower already, called Kid Kasio.    Maybe Twitter would be more exciting if I had a few followers?
"Twitter is an interactive tool and as such the more you use it, the more you will understand it" according to Swan Libraries, I think this must be true as am struggling a wee bit with its relevance to life in general at the mo.

I did a search for 'library' and did find the following interesting snippet:

Empty library!



I cannot see much use for Twitter within our library.  We do have alot of older patrons and whilst we are actively trying to attract the younger generation, not sure how Twitter would help with this.  It seems to me that there is so much going on in Twitter that library tweets would just get swallowed up and lost. 

I think that wikis would work well in our library - we could provide info on events in the library and our patrons could respond and suggest further ideas.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to sound negative also, but Twitter doesn't set me on fire either! Maybe I need more friends too to make it more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twitter could be used for important announcements (e.g, library is closed on Australia day) provided the library twitter account is actively followed!
    I find 'following' others' twitter accounts can be fascinating..but i personally don't think I have enough interesting things to say to create my own (though I will for the purpose of this course)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I unfollowed my first Twitter "friend" (I don't think that is the correct term, I know I was her follower, does that make her the followee?) this evening. She is a writer who's books I really enjoy, but having put up with endless tweets about the Miss America contest over the weekend, followed by endless tweets about The Bachelor tonight, I'd had enough. I don't even feel guilty!
    The moral to the story ... follow selectively?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel that Twitter is for celebs only after all I have only had one husband!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta love these comments... I agree they do seem to mainly be of use for snippets into the lives of the rich and famous... no-one in our library fits this bill, LOL!

    ReplyDelete